Monday, October 5, 2009

Something of a Hotel Mario Cross Stitch Pattern

Hello! This afternoon, I realized that I had more patterns than I thought I did to post here, meaning that every time I look at this blog, I no longer have to panic to think of something interesting to make a cross stitch pattern of. This, of course, made it easier for me to think of something new to post, meaning that I have a brand new pattern to shove up here in addition to a slightly odd reserve of patterns. Today's cross stitch pattern was inspired (if that's what you want to call it) by Hotel Mario, a game that I am only familiar with because of a Youtube video that I've watched at least a dozen times, due to its strange existence in a world that exists beyond human logic. (I have no idea how prevalent this video is in terms of Youtube lunacy, so it can be watched if you click on these shiny rainbow letters, as it explains the soon to come pattern as well as anything can.) I haven't played Hotel Mario and probably never will, because playing it would require owning a Philips CD-i, and I think that if I did own one, I'd be too busy wondering what bizarre path my life had taken to play a game where Mario opens doors, and I do say that as someone who regularly plays her Neo Geo Pocket Color.

Anyway, I will stop babbling about obsolete video game systems and actually post the Hotel Mario pattern, which I'm sure you've all been waiting for.


I don't think that this pattern would be especially difficult or amazingly easy, so I don't have much to say about it, other than that a removal of the toaster text makes it an acceptable and normal pattern of Mario. When making it, however, I did find a very nice sprite of Mario from the SNES classic Mario: Fun With Numbers, meaning that I didn't have to use any of the weird and wobbly lined drawings of Mario from Hotel Mario itself. In my opinion, this also adds an extra layer of quality to a pattern based on one of the finest games in the history of the Mario franchise.

I think that I've done all the damage I can today, so I'm off to do other crud on the internet before logging off and working on a 100 by 100 stitch portrait of an 80s version of SNK's Athena, who is in way too many games, which was probably not the wisest idea for a project I've ever undertaken. Soon, however, I will be back here and posting more patterns, including some considerably smaller ones of Athena, one of Sanrio's less popular mascots, and a Tsubasa pattern that used to be on Little Mojo's site. Until then, however, I have to repeat myself by saying that if you stitch any of the patterns from here, please feel free to send in a picture of your finished work, as I'd love to do a post about it!

3 comments:

  1. That is such a cool Mario!!!!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Mario! Can't wait for some more Sanrio love. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose to do just the face of this pattern (as I didn't have enough waste canvas) on a shirt for my son to jazz up a plain green one he had. He loves it.

    http://www.cyberstitchers.com/Galleries/TracysProjects/img/1263956784357.JPG?TS=1263956784000

    ReplyDelete