Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cross Stitch Patterns From Mediocre to Bad Game Boy Ports of Neo Geo Fighters

Hello! Though I'm posting here now with a characteristically specific title and patterns from 2D fighting games, making it appear as if everything is perfectly fine in the world of Dork Stitch, before posting too much, I have some pertinent information to post. Last Thursday night, not too long after my last post, my computer of 8 years unexpectedly had a blue screen of death that it never managed to recover from. Though this required my family to get a new computer (which has 3 times the power of the last one for a fourth of its price), most of our stuff was backed up, meaning that even though losing the computer was bad, it wasn't as much of a problem as it could have been. What I did lose, however, were my in-progress patterns for this blog, meaning that if you made any pattern requests that I was already unbelievably slow in posting, I'm going to have to be even slower about them. I also can't make anything really big for a while, since I lost my paint program (but not my pattern maker!) and am assembling patterns on Microsoft Works through extensive use of the Print Screen button. Still, I think that things should be pretty much the same as ever on here. To prove this, I'll get back to the regularly scheduled post!

Since I had to reconfigure Pattern Maker to all of the settings that I want, I decided to stick with a familiar subject matter- sprites from portable versions of Neo Geo fighting games. Usually, I use the Neo Geo Pocket Color versions, since they're just so gosh-darned adorable, but today, I decided to use some sprites from the Game Boy versions. Most of this is because I sat up last night playing the Game Boy version of Samurai Shodown, which is nearly unplayable due to clunky controls and interminable downtime between the rounds of a fight. The graphics in it are pretty nice, though, so it only made sense to take advantage of that aspect of the game for this cross stitch pattern of Nakoruru, the Samurai Shodown franchise's poster girl.

Since this sprite was originally in a Game Boy game, I did a lot of recoloring before making it a pattern, and sort of gave her a different hairstyle than she had in the game, too. The number of colors used means that though she should be fast and easy to stitch, she's slightly less fast and easy to stitch than some other patterns on this blog. Still, if you want to cross stitch Nakoruru, this should be much less time consuming than going for the arcade sprite.

Basically, the same things that I said about Nakoruru's pattern go for the pattern of Janne from World Heroes that I'll be posting after a few more lines of text. The version of World Heroes for Game Boy is much better than the Samurai Shodown one in terms of the game actually being fun, even though the graphics aren't as cute. I still wanted to make a pattern of Janne, though, since I have a lot of admiration for the fact that in World Heroes, you can pit Joan of Arc against Jack the Ripper in hand to hand combat. (Plus, despite the game's less than excellent reputation, I can play it well for no apparent reason, so I tend to give it more credit than it deserves.) With that in mind, I present to you my cross stitch pattern of Janne, which, if you're in a pinch, can probably be quickly modified to be Charlotte from the aforementioned Samurai Shodown.



Now that I have two patterns made on my new computer and posted, I'm going to go put frosting on a German chocolate cake, which promises to be quite delicious. If you decide to make any of these patterns, though, I'd really like to see your finished work and, with permission, of course, will post it here for all to see! Also, I'd like to thank Alexis for a comment on the last post- I'm glad you like the True Blood patterns and will do my best to make some nice patterns for Doctor Who and Torchwood (I know more about Doctor Who, but Gwen seems like she'd make a good sprite), though they'll probably be pretty similar to the patterns for True Blood, at least in terms of style.

Someday, I hope that Blogger will implement a tool to directly reply to comments. Until then, I hope all of you have a nice rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment