Friday, April 23, 2010

A Local Neo Geo Arcade Machine? A Stitched Lady Gaga? Tonight Is Awesome!

Hello! I had been debating on and off whether to post here tonight, since I didn't have a pattern prepared as a .jpeg to put up here, and because of that, I ultimately decided not to do so. When I logged onto Deviant Art tonight, however, I saw that Dawn, of Anime Stitching, both the website and the blog, had stitched one of my patterns, giving me the perfect excuse to come here and be all bloggy and stuff.

My original reason for wanting to post a blog has nothing at all to do with crafting, though it certainly is dorky, so I've gotten half of this blog's title covered. My sister and I went out shopping tonight, since it seemed like the thing to do, and after a trip to Staples and the ridiculously deserted mall, we went to the local comic store, Alternate Realities. The first part of our trip to the comic store was pretty normal, though I did find some fun and airheaded comics in the used bins, including a romance comic aimed at preteen girls set in ancient Rome, but when we paid for our stuff and left, things got considerably spiffier. Since the parking lot in back was sort of messed up, we had to drive around more than normal, which was sort of frustrating until my sister said, "Hey, that building has a Neo Geo machine in it!" I wasn't sure what building she was talking about, but I swung back into a parking place and hopped out of the car to see a bright yellow doorway with a red SNK arcade machine right in the doorway. Even though I probably should have known where it was already, it turned out that it was way in the back room of the comic store, which I hadn't even known existed, as part of a well stocked retro arcade. There were lots of nice games in it, including piles of fighters, racing games, and pinball, but my sister and I were definitely most impressed with the Neo Geo machine, which played, luckily enough, World Heroes 2 and Fatal Fury 2. I went back up to the front of the store, got some quarters, and then my sister and I proceeded to play both of those games.

After this, the whole story gets pretty boring, since it just turns into me playing World Heroes and my sister playing Fatal Fury. It was really cool to get to play the games in an arcade rather than on my Playstation, though, especially since World Heroes, at least, had way better controls on the arcade machine, making it easier to play. I was really excited and thought it was cool, though, so I wanted to post about it here!

For the next part of the post, dear reader, we shall turn to examine the smashing work of textile artist Dawn, who, at her Deviant Art page, has posted a lovely version of one of this blog's Lady Gaga patterns. If you are interested in seeing the full extent of the work, please direct your browser to this link. For now, I will knock off the 18th century literature chatter and post a nice thumbnail of it!















The first thing that I have to say about this is that Dawn certainly stayed a lot closer to the colors I'd had on the pattern than I did when I stitched it! It looks very nice, and her stitching gave the veil a nice effect that matches the rest of it quite well. I really like the Aida she chose for it, too, especially since the eyes match it almost perfectly, and the blue seems to be a color that makes the lighter colors stand out without making the black hard to see. Plus, on a less technical note, it's Lady Gaga and it's awesome. For her fine work, I hereby award Dawn with this spring-y Dork Stitch (at least partially) gold star!















Since I'm pretty tired and can no longer formulate sentences, I think that this is all that I'm going to post here for the night. Still, I hope that all of you have a very pleasant weekend and will post again soon!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the star!!
    I do wish I could find more of that blue material too~~

    ReplyDelete