Monday, June 14, 2010

Metal Gear Cross Stitch? It's Not That Much Weirder Than A Card Game

Hello! As many of you may know, this week is E3, and since I'm doing a lot with MyGamer.com for E3 coverage, this pretty much means that I'm going to be on my laptop for four days straight! I'm not going to deny that gathering the latest gaming news is entertaining, but since there's not game related stuff happening every second of every day, I think that I'll be able to do a bit of posting here as well. Since I've essentially been online for the last five hours, my brain is a little too fried for me to get into any sort of prose that's too complex, but I do have a pattern that was requested last week by the mysterious "Anonymous," which is stealth cross stitch pattern requesting if I've ever seen it. This, of course, is more than appropriate, seeing as this person's request was for something related to Metal Gear Solid. Admittedly, I haven't gotten very far in many of the Metal Gear games, since really long cutscenes can sometimes make me feel asleep, but I've been playing the NES Metal Gear lately, and, despite the fact that I suck at the game, am really enjoying it, and I invested insubordinate amounts of time into the Metal Gear Solid for GBC when it was actually sort of a recent release. Because of that, when I got the request for a Metal Gear cross stitch pattern, I went on a search for the sprites from the GBC game and, luckily, was able to find them! Thanks to The Sprite Database, here is a lovely and charming set of Solid Snake cross stitch motifs.



















As you may be able to tell from the thumbnail image of the pattern above, one of the chief features of the graphics in Metal Gear Solid for the Game Boy Color is that they're really, really small. Because of that, I was able to fit three recolored sprites of Solid Snake into one chart, and I still think that the pattern as a whole wouldn't take very long to stitch. Individually, though, and even with the extra colors I added to try and make Snake match his more-than-8-bit counterparts, I'd imagine that each of these would take less than an hour to stitch. They're far less than 20 by 20, with the one kneeling down only being 11 stitches wide, and the amounts of each color used are small enough that I think you could manage to stitch him out of scraps. Despite the pattern's smallness, however, I think that it could be pretty fun to stitch and will probably make at least one of them in the next couple of days. Plus, if you need to add a border to a set of towels or anything for a Metal Gear fan, I'm sure Solid Snake would work very well for that, even if it does end up seeming a little demented!

Like I always say at the end of my posts, if you decide to stitch Solid Snake or anything else in the Dork Stitch pattern library, let me know, and I'll show off your undoubtedly beautiful work to all of this blog's readers! Until then, however, I'll be here making piles of new patterns to post and will be looking after all of the latest E3 news. I hope all of you have a nice week and will be back soon with more Dork Stitch fun!

1 comment:

  1. My son is watching that right now or maybe its over now.....not sure!!!! I think I hear Kevin and Olivia LOL!!
    I might make it into a bookmark for hubby since he works for the security at the power plant up here and yes they carry guns!! :) My son recently just got his course done a month ago that officially allows him to handle guns-- Its called a PAL.

    ReplyDelete