Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Trying Something Slightly New, At Least For Dork Stitch

Hello! My siblings just finished watching 500 Days of Summer again, and I need to kill a few minutes before I go to bed, so posting on this blog seemed like the perfect way to even things out! Because I'm a bit sleepy and still dealing with the relief of knowing that I did not break MyGamer.com in the last half hour, this won't be the longest blog post ever, but I have a nifty new pattern that I want to post, and I should be able to at least manage that before I pass out face first on the keyboard.

Anyway, lately, I've been looking for something new and interesting to do in terms of cross stitching, by which I mean that I've been typing free cross stitch patterns (or point de croix grilles gratuies, if I'm feeling saucy) into Google and seeing what pops up. Sometimes, I just see the same things every day, which is a little boring, but other times, I see things that look fun, like double sided cross stitch projects! (An example of what I'm talking about can be seen here, at an online shop that I've never used and, therefore, cannot vouch for the quality of.) I have never done anything like this before, though I am confident in my ability to figure it out, and, because of this, I decided to make a double sided cross stitch pattern of Athena Asamiya from the King of Fighters games and see how things worked out!











As you can see, this project is not particularly complex for both halves, let alone one of them, so if you want to stitch any or all parts of it, it should be a pretty fast project! The cheerful and cartoony sprite used for this pattern originally came from the Commodore 64 port of Athena, the arcade game that the character came from, though it took a lot of editing and recoloring to get to the point where she had a recognizable King of Fighters outfit. The look and pose, as well as the basic hairstyle are still from the C64 game, though, so without that game, this pattern would not be. In terms of the double sided aspects of this project, I did my best to make sure that it was detailed differently on each side, making for an interesting to stitch and nicer looking finished project, but the differences are not so major that I think it would be weird to flip it over that the star on her headband is only on one side of the doll. Plus, being the nerd that I am, that makes it closer to the way she looks in the King of Fighters games, which, although it may be meaningless to some, makes me quite happy.

At any rate, I am going to try and work on this some tomorrow, so that I will be able to let you know sooner rather than later if this experiment will work at all or not. If you decide to take a shot at making the Athena doll, too, let me know how it goes and photograph your finished project for a bit of Dork Stitch notoriety! Until then, I hope that all of you have a good night and a good rest of the week. I'll be back and posting again tomorrow or the next day with some (hopefully) fun cross stitch standee photos!

1 comment:

  1. The double-sided approach would be great for the standees.

    Something else that would be kind of cool would be two different characters on each side, yet having the same silhouette, or the same character in a different costume (even just a palette swap).

    ReplyDelete