Monday, September 27, 2010

Spiffy Links, French Film Needlepoint, and a Steam Detectives Cross Stitch Pattern!

Hello! It has been over a week since I last posted here, and before I get into anything else, I would like to address my last blog post, in which I was distressed over the fact that another blog was calling itself "Dork Stitch." Everything discussed in that post was settled by last Sunday (or maybe Saturday, I can't remember), and worked out well enough that I now have a new e-mail address at missy-tannenbaum (at) dorkstitch.com, which may be one of the finest things ever, leading me into the next part of this post!

Recently, there have been some really cool new cross stitch websites and blogs starting, one of which is the much previously mentioned blog sitting at the domain http://www.dorkstitch.com. The blog, Geeky Crafts, is run by Chris, or Shellfx of Deviant Art, and has several cool patterns, including one of Roy and Moss from The IT Crowd and a really cute iPod that looks quite fun to make! Within the community of stitchers with blogs here at Blogger that were previously in some way affiliated with Little Mojo's Anime Cross Stitch Patterns website (which I realize is a very specific group), a new patterns website has also sprung up, courtesy of Gatchagaz of, appropriately enough, Gatchastitch! Though her blog explains the brand new website better than I could, I can say that if you want Final Fantasy VII patterns and are not sure what's going on with my infatuation with the inferior pirated version of the game, her site is the absolute perfect place for you to visit!

With all of that being said, I now intend to be a self-centered brat and use my blog specifically to show off stuff I've made, which I guess is fairly normal! If you read this blog more carefully than I probably would, if I were in your shoes, you may remember that, a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that for my sister's birthday, I was needlepointing part of the poster for The 400 Blows, since she's been really into French New Wave movies lately. Though I finished this two weeks ago, it is indeed done, so I'm putting an image of it into this blog post, mostly just because I can.
If you'd like to read the full description for this thread-tastic portrait of actor Jean-Pierre Leaud, or see a bigger version of the image, it's also posted at this link on my Deviant Art page! My sister currently has it pinned to our wall, though, and I'm hoping that the other birthday projects I'm stitching for family members turn out well, too!

Anyway, now that all of that is out of the way, it's time for today's Dork Stitch cross stitch pattern, which today features Ling Ling, the female lead from the late 90s anime Steam Detectives! If you used to be a visitor to Anime Cross Stitch Patterns, this may look familiar to you, as I had it hosted there, though this version has been cleaned up a bit from when I initially made it. Since it was the first pattern that I ever charted with Pattern Maker, it was slightly untidy, but all of the random stitches of strange colors in the middle of solid blocks have been eliminated, along with some slight changes having been made in the outline!

As you can see, instead of using an image generated by Pattern Maker, the pattern actually includes a photo of my finished version of the project, using the colors listed in the key and everything! Since the pattern isn't tiny, it does take a little longer than some of the other patterns here do to stitch, but the large color blocks mean that it still goes quickly. Plus, even though there are quite a few colors, they're simple enough that if you want to use another floss color for some area, it more than likely won't have a detrimental effect on your finished project!

I think that I've done quite enough typing for today, but if you do stitch Ling Ling, or any of the other stuff here, e-mail me a photo and I'll feature you right here on this blog! I have a ton of gold stars to make, and wouldn't mind making one for your work at all! Until my next post, though, I hope all of you have a nice week bereft of major trauma!

3 comments:

  1. Oh man...I want to stitch this and all the FF stuff from Caz's site now. Why do I only have 2 arms... My WIP status just went into overdrive.

    Do you like that Pattern Maker program? I have tried it a little and still prefer PC Stitch for some reason. I sure wish there was a stitching program that gave previews of finished projects because I am such a stickler for finished project looks.

    Thanks so much for the kind words. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Missy, thanks for the plug...I only just read this now ... sorry, I've been ill this week =(

    and to Shellcoduh (aka Chris), I'm glad you like all the patterns on my site =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. question. what pattern maker do you use? is it specific or just a generic one? i've been looking for one the past 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete