Monday, May 23, 2011

IHSW May- Fun With Tie-Dyed Floss

Hello! The third weekend in May just drew to a close, and with it, so did my participation in Joyze of Random Ramblings International Stitch and Hermit Weekend! I would have written about this stuff last night, but the internet was out at my house, so it would have been a trick to write a blog entry in such circumstances. Writing today seems to be just as good as anything, though, so here are the results of my weekend's stitching.

The first project that I went after this weekend, starting Saturday evening and lasting until I finished, was the last third of a fairly simple cross stitch of Chizuru, a character from the King of Fighters games. The image I used was edited a little from one of the, "Wow, so you're trying to play a Neo Geo Pocket Color game on a non-color system? I'm not so sure that's going to work out for you," screens from SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium, so she looks apologetic because I suppose she feels as bad as any fictional character can that you're not able to play a game she's not actually in. What was fun about stitching this, however, is that I found a bargain floss pack at Jo-Ann's featuring some variegated thread made to look like it was tie-dyed. It doesn't stitch to look quite like normal variegated floss does, but it's really cool and stopped me from getting bored working on a monochrome project like this. Anyway, here is a photo of the finished cross stitch of Chizuru, done on 11-count white Aida cloth.
Since I finished Chizuru on Saturday night, I didn't really want to go all of Sunday without doing any cross stitch at all, so I dragged a small project and a bit more of the tie-dyed floss to a Pokemon League tournament I was running to try and get some more done. I ended up picking a pattern of the Half-Life lambda by Nintandrew that I found on the Sprite Stitch forums, since it was small, portable, and from a game that didn't seem very appropriate to stitch fan art for in bright and cheery spring colors, making the whole thing exponentially spiffier. I didn't get the cross stitch done during the tournament, since I had to run around timing things and monitoring matches and keeping track of win-loss records and stuff like that, but after I got home, I finished the project off and completed the IHSW. I really like how this floss looked, especially on the black Aida, so I want to think of something else to do with it!
With that stuff posted, I'm headed off to see what sort of stuff other people stitched and go back to boring, not-affiliated with arbitrary event, cross stitching. I hope to have some new patterns and other stuff up here at Dork Stitch later this week, so until then, I hope all of you have a good week and will write more later!

7 comments:

  1. She's so cute!Nad both projects look awesome with these colorfull flosses! I should hurry and post my IHSW projects, which, by the way, are from your blog XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's really sweet, and that thread has given in a fabulous tone, it's really unusual. I always like happy charts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lovely finish. Love the varigated thread.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh.... LOVE Chizuru!!! Love what you did with the hand-dye too. She looks like the picture is shifting into focus.... you know, like in movies or games, where the pic zig zags for a bit and then comes into focus? Awesome!! :D

    Love the bright colors of Half Life, they really pop!!

    How was the tournament? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, how very, VERY pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen hand-dyed thread used before. It looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is so cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete