Thursday, October 6, 2011

Guys, You've Got to See This Thing My Mom Made!

Hello! Today I don't have any patterns to share with you, though there's piles of them that I want to work on fairly soon, but I do have a photo of a really impressive finished project to show off here. For the past couple of months, my mom has been working on crocheting the big monochrome pattern of Princess Zelda that I posted here, and today, she got it finished! I think that it's safe to say that it's the biggest thing anyone has made from any of the patterns posted here, since it's large enough to use as a small blanket, and it looks really cool, too. If you also crochet, I can tell you that it was made with pound balls of acrylic yarn (Caron One Pounders, I was just told), and the border is done in scallop stitches, which make it look all fancy. It was also all stitched as one piece rather than Zelda being embroidered on top of the light purple stitching, which is also nifty. Rather than just type about it, though, I'll actually post a couple of photos of it, so that you guys can look at them and then all post comments telling my mom how spiffy she is!
Here is the first photo of the crocheted Zelda, which doesn't show off the image in its entirety, but does show off how massive it is next to the 14-count Aida cloth version of it I stitched. I think that Mom made hers a lot faster than I got mine done, too, even taking into account that she made sweaters while working on this.
Here is another photo of it, without my cross stitch plopped over the bottom corner and obscuring part of the image. I guess that the only thing really blocked in the other one is part of the shield, but the shield looks really nice, so it seemed worth it to post a second photo.

Anyway, now that this is done, Mom gave it to me, and my current plan is to have it replace the Invader Zim throw blanket from Hot Topic that I've had for years and years. I like it quite a lot and said thank you several times, but I wanted to do a blog post about it, too, so I hope that you guys liked seeing it! I should be back within a couple of days with a standard patterns and rambling post, so, until then, I hope you're all doing well!

12 comments:

  1. Your mom is awesome!!!! That is soooooooooo cool!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely amazing!!! super jealous and wish i had one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your mom is very, very spiffy, indeed! That looks incredible! Did she use single crochet or a different stitch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a fabulous piece. Your Mom did great work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mom is Coolest Mom!! It totally needs a Link to match now! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really impressive! What a neat idea too. Awesome job, Dork Stitch's mom :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for featuring my work, darling daughter! And to answer Tama, I did it fairisle style in single crochet, the sc stitch is square and can be substituted in nearly any square-gridded pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have the coolest mum! It looks totally awesome =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mom must be super talented! It looks awesome! ^.^

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way cool!! :)
    Nicely done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my, how awesome is this? Way too cool! You mom did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete