Wednesday, April 18, 2012

A Barrage of FFVIII Alternate Outfit Sprite Patterns

Hello! For a while now, my most requested sprite patterns here at Dork Stitch have been alternate outfit cross stitch charts for Squall and Rinoa from Final Fantasy VIII. I have absolutely nothing against the game, so I really have no idea or explanation as to why I haven't made these patterns before now. Today, however, I have four new patterns to fill this request, since someone asked for one of Selphie over the weekend, too, so a whole slew of FFVIII alternate outfit sprite patterns await you!

Even though I should probably save this for the end of the post, I think I'll start things off with the special pattern for the day, which actually depicts Rinoa and Squall dancing at the ball from the game. I did their alternate outfits at the start of the night when I was doing all of these, but when I dug through reference pictures, I at some point decided that, if I were going to make normal patterns of their outfits, I might as well try to make them dancing, too. It took a while, and a pile of sprite editing, too, to get it to look right at all, and after I had the chart done, I test stitched it, too, just to make sure that when it was actually cross stitched, it didn't look weird and blobby. It was fun to do a more elaborate pattern like this, and I hope that those of you reading that stitch these charts will enjoy stitching it, too. Here is the pattern of Squall and Rinoa at their fancy ball.
As long as I have the pattern here, I think that I'll post my test stitching of it, too, just because I can! You'll probably see it again in a few days, since it's the 17th stitched sprite on my current sheet of plastic canvas, meaning that I'm almost ready to post the finished page, but it's sort of applicable to this post, too. It's not stitched in the colors I suggest in the chart, so that part of it is a little different, but making it allowed me to figure out that, in the way I originally had the pattern made, Squall's arm looked tiny and weird, while Rinoa's hair was eating her eyeball. After I got all of that fixed, I think that it helped a lot, so the version of it I actually stitched matches the posted pattern rather than the original one.
With the fancy pattern posted and out of the way, I now have three standard sprite patterns for you guys, featuring Selphie and Squall in their SeeD uniforms and Rinoa in her dress from the ball. They're pretty normal and straightforward patterns, with nothing unusual about them, but I hope that you guys like them! There are still plenty of characters from FFVIII to make, too, so if one of your favorite characters (or their alternate outfit) is still missing, just mention it in the comments or on the Dork Stitch Facebook page and I'll do my best to make a chart of them.


Now that I have all of that posted, I'm done for today, but I hope to be back very soon with some new sprite patterns in my Capcom vs. SNK 2 set, which I have not at all abandoned, and, hopefully, a lot of nifty photos of sprites I've stitched and stuff I've made! Until then, have a nice day and good luck with all of your crafting projects!

3 comments:

  1. Hi I just found your blog.

    I love all your little sprites!
    Hope you enjoy IHSW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm tempted to try to change the Rinoa in her ball gown a little and make it look like she's pointing at the sky like in the game. ^^

    ReplyDelete