Monday, August 27, 2012

I'm Actually Going to Make the Kits I Have!

Hello! Since this is not a patterns post, it might not be the most exciting thing that I've ever put on the internet, at least for a lot of you that follow this blog. When I was trying to decide what to stitch the other day, however, it occurred to me that I had a few cross stitch kits that I'd gotten packed in with magazines that I'd never made. I went to gather them and see if I had anything worth stitching, and rather than having two or three kits to make, I realized that, when the magazine kits were combined with other tiny kits that I had to cross stitch, I had over a dozen of them rather than just a few. Since that seemed kind of excessive, I decided to see if I could stitch my way through them. Here are the photos of what I have to accomplish, minus one partially finished Care Bears mini kit.
Since I started this on Thursday, I've been pretty sure that I will not finish all these kits quickly, and will get distracted halfway through and stop working on them for months on end. I have made a little bit of noticeable progress since then, though, as I finished the kokeshi doll kit from issue 223 of Cross Stitcher, which was designed by Lucie Heaton. I didn't have a little frame for it, but in the magazine, it showed a really nice paper frame for it, so I tried that. Mine is not as good as the example in the magazine, but the scrapbook paper I cut it from was glittery, so that certainly isn't working against it. My scan is a little crooked, too, but the stitching still looks bright in the image I got, which is nice.
After finishing this kit, I started another one from Cross Stitcher, of a mirror pouch with two brightly colored birds on it. The colors with it don't really match the ones in the photo, but I'm hoping it works out anyway. Either way, it should be a quick project to stitch, and somewhat useful, too!

This is all the stuff I have for today, but I'm working on a ton of new patterns that I'm hoping to get formatted for this blog and take weeks to post them all. Before then, I may have another update on getting through all of these kits, but until then, I hope you're having good luck with whatever crafts you're working on and having a relatively nice start to your week!

11 comments:

  1. I've made that bird kit. Yeah the colours look NOTHING like the ones in the picture. I got so confused. Turned out lovely though, though I think I used my own shade of yellow for one of the birds due to the confusion :P.

    I have so many of those kits in my to do pile too. I fear I'll never finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The little kits I find are great for taking to work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should look for all mine too!! :) Good luck with them!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooo, looks like fun! and that kokeshi doll is really cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, you have some to keep you busy! The kokeshi doll is so cute, I'm loving her colours and can't wait for the next finsih :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute finish! Nice job on the paper too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so cute, I love kokeshi dolls !!!

    Donna

    http://donnascrossstitch.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have so many of those kits too! This year I decided to start stitching some.. I think I made 3 since January :p hehehehe
    I have the birds kit but no mirror, the mirror was broken =( Cross stitcher magazine said they would send another one but it never arrived! Oh well.. I have more kits to make me smile :) hehehhe
    Good work!! Keep it up :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have quite a collection of kits I've picked up at thrift stores! They're great for taking on trips 'cause they just stuff right in my little butter bowl and away I go!

    The kokeshi doll is super cute; I love those things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to have a bunch of kits to stitch through! Do magazines still send out kits like that?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I *LIKE* this idea!! And OMG, that little japanese girl is too cute!!! HAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

    ReplyDelete