Sunday, September 23, 2012

On a Mission to Civilize My Cross Stitch Chart Format

Hello! As I've said before, it's been a while since I last posted any patterns. Part of this is because, when I got my new computer that took less that 15 minutes to boot up and didn't freeze when I tried to run an Atari emulator, my cross stitch pattern maker no longer worked on it. For a while, I switched off to the old computer to chart my patterns once I had the images ready to go, which was fine, though I ended up making a load of patterns at once, to minimize usage of the less functional computer and get a lot of patterns that I could post out of each sitting. At first, this seemed to work well, but today, when I intended to sit down and chart all of the patterns I had ready, I realized that I had over 30 of them to do. That was when I decided to figure out a way to do it on the computer I use most often.

After messing around with KG Stitch LE, which is a very nice program, for quite a while, I think that I've figured out how to make nice looking patterns without my other computer. It involves printing to PDFs and copious amounts of image editing, but it isn't really any more or less effort than I was taking to make these before, and I think that it looks a little nicer, too, in terms out how clearly the grid is marked. It is different, so if you stitch my sprite patterns, please take a look at today's pattern and let me know what you think! From this, though, I think that I've found a workable new format.

For the test pattern, I decided to use a sprite I'd done of Mackenzie McHale from The Newsroom, which is a show on HBO, for a couple of reasons. First of all, I didn't want to fiddle around with and post a chart everyone hated of a character someone had requested, since that would just be mean. I don't think that'll be a problem, but I hadn't been sure of that when I'd started, so it seemed reasonable to make a more cautious choice. The other reason why I chose her, which will only make sense to other people who watched The Newsroom, was that it seemed like it would be funny to use her as the first pattern in a new format. Regardless of all of that, however, here is today's new pattern, ready to be stitched, or at least looked at by people who are curious as to what the new charts will look like.
Since making patterns on this computer is working out well so far, I'm hoping to get more done with the giant pile of cross stitch patterns that I have left to chart and post them soon, too! I have lots of requests finished, and stuff that I'm not sure any of you want to go with them, so I hope that they'll all be enjoyed. Until then, have a nice week and good luck with your crafts!

3 comments:

  1. The pattern looks great - very clear and easy to read. It'll be a little weird at first since I'm so used to your black stitches being solid blocks, but that's just me being silly!
    Glad you found something that will work so well for you :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was not thinking 'cross stitch pattern' when watching the Newsroom but you were and that's what makes you awesome. Seriously, I've been visiting this blog consistently for at least two years and I'm always so wonderfully surprised. Thank you! And the new pattern format looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love KG! It's what I use for all of my patterns and I print to PDF as well (thank goodness for CutePDF right?).

    The new format looks great! It just dawned on me though; do you print out your patterns in PDF form and then print screen for the editing?

    ReplyDelete