Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Combining Perler Beads and Cross Stitch- Finished Projects #8 and #9 of 2014

Hello! I hope that today, you guys are ready to see some really pointless crafting, because that is what I have to show off. The other day, I was sitting down and preparing to make something out of perler beads, but didn't know what I was going to do. This led to a lot of staring at a giant pegboard and a mass of unorganized beads, trying to figure out why it was so much harder to decide what to perler bead than it was to pick out something to cross stitch. I then thought that I might as well just fill my board with random beads, because it was just as good as whatever I'd pick (I was not having a very positive day), which then led to me deciding that if I did that, I could probably use it as a weird sheet of plastic canvas.

Once I thought of that, I ran and grabbed an old perler bead project that I'd made and broken to see if I could get a needle through the beads once they'd been melted. It turned out, after I stitched a few pink Xs on a Samurai Shodown character's head, that I could, so I then grabbed a bunch of yellows and off whites, hoping to make my sheet of beads look like a fake sheet of hand-dyed fabric, and spent several hours digging through buckets and putting beads onto the pegboard. That part of it was not very interesting. Later that night, though, I'd gotten the beads ironed and was able to start stitching on it with some craft thread. That was Sunday, and tonight, I finished this!
The squares that I was stitching on, because they were made of plastic beads, were so big that I didn't want to make a very complicated pattern. Because of that, I chose a sprite of Athena Asamiya from King of Fighters R-2 for the Neo Geo Pocket Color. She only has three colors and the design is pretty simple, which I think is part of what made this work. A pattern with more complicated colors and details wouldn't have looked nice at all, especially because the holes in the melted perler beads were big enough for a needle, but so small that I had to use craft thread rather than yarn to stitch this. Still, I think that this was a cool project, and I want to try it again! I'm going to sort beads ahead of time this time, so that it's less tedious making the sheet of perlers to stitch on, but I think I'll still do a Neo Geo Pocket sprite once I get the sheet made.

A week before this, I did another small, but more traditional project, using a pattern from a long defunct Sanrio patterns webpage (from Geocities!), which was run by a designer who went by the user name Lullaby Lambie. I have a lot of her patterns, but decided to stitch Pochacco, mostly because I have no stuff with that character printed on it. I did this with normal embroidery floss on neon blue Aida cloth and framed it in a 4-inch embroidery hoop. That made it way classier.
I am done posting for tonight, but have a lot of patterns saved up and will have probably some sprite patterns for you guys later this week! Until then, good luck with your crafty stuff and have a nice week!

6 comments:

  1. Those look really nice! I was wondering if you could make some sprite patterns of fire emblem sacred stones characters. I've checked around google , and very few people stitch fire emblem characters. So if you could make some patterns, that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! You have just provided an excuse that I've wanted for years! Are there any characters that you'd like in particular, or should I just start in on the cast?

      Delete
  2. Actually, all of them, if you can. I love that game!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Pochacco pattern. Would you be able to share them with us since the site is no longer around?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The site is actually still out there, thanks to the Internet Archive, so try this link: https://web.archive.org/web/20050305020755/http://www.geocities.com/sanrioxstitch/crafts/index.html
      If that doesn't work, let me know and I can e-mail them. Some of the patterns from this site were copied from booklets- one of the Twin Stars ones I know for sure was, and one of the My Melody ones looks like it was, too- so it went down even before Geocities went out.

      Delete
    2. Also, if you get a "link not found," click on what they give you to see all archived material from the site, and you'll be able to access all of the .pdfs of the patterns directly. I hope that helps!

      Delete