Saturday, July 11, 2015

Testing Linux's Cross Stitch Pattern Making Abilities with a New Sprite Pattern

Hello! My Windows 8 machine met an untimely, sad demise that involves slowness, funny car type noises, randomly inserting capital letters into anything that I typed, and occasionally getting really hot and smelling weird, so I got a Chromebook. It is a cute computer that runs super-fast and does a lot of cool things, so I'm really happy with it. However, I was worried about making new patterns for this blog on it. It was taking me 6 or 7 minutes to open each image file on the last computer, so it's not like I was doing a fantastic job on that, but at least the programs were available.

Luckily, my sister showed me how I could download Linux distros onto a Chromebook, meaning that I could use a lot more offline programs on it! I was kind of slow with it, and spent a good week convinced that I was far too dumb to make Linux work, but today, I sat down for a few hours and decided it was time to figure it out. It took a while, but I got it.

After getting KXStitch, a nifty Linux exclusive cross stitch pattern maker, and GIMP, a stupid and bad image editor that I am going to continue hating for a very long time, I drew in my base sprite patterns and then set about making a trial chart. As I mentioned before, I have to buzz through way too much Game of Thrones this summer, so I ended up making a sprite pattern of Arya Stark. I think the pattern itself came out really well! Her outfit uses a lot of browns, so I got to play with the pallette editor on KX Stitch, and because she's shorter than standard height, I learned some of the editing tools, too. The layout is a mess, though. I ended up with a rubbish word processor that doesn't even have Arial, and am having trouble sizing my charts and preview images right now. Still, though, I think it's readable, if not weird looking.

Anyway, here is today's sprite pattern of Arya Stark! Would you guys like more Game of Thrones sprite patterns? I can pass it off as studying until late December, and the outfits are really detailed, too.

This is all I have for today, but I've been working on a lot of stitching of my own and have been considering posting some photos. I need to get better at using this computer to make cross patterns, too, so I will keep working on that. It's just going to be sprite patterns for a while, but I will work my way up to fancier charts as I get better at it!

3 comments:

  1. This looks fine. More Game of Thrones would be great whenever you're in the mood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still not as happy with it as I'd like to be, but it's nothing practice won't fix.

      Are there any characters in particular you'd like to see? It seems like it would be easy for a set like this to get out of hand, but, again, if I can pass it off as, "Hey, I'm studyin'," then that doesn't really matter.

      Delete
  2. Jon Snow comes to mind, and the Dragon Queen, who's name escapes me at the moment. But I've only read the first book and seen the first season, so I may not be the best person to ask. Anyway, I look forward to more of your "studying".

    ReplyDelete